Thursday, March 1, 2007

Maher and Religion

HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher” is one of the few shows I watch regularly. It’s funny and informative, and I agree with most of Maher’s views. One thing I think he gets wrong, however, is his sweeping view of religious people as quacks. He sees religion as a belief in the supernatural and not a faith in basic moral principles. I’m a moderate Catholic, and I had my children baptized, not because I’m sure that God spoke to Moses as a burning bush, but because I think the lessons of the Bible are guides you can apply to your everyday life – basic lessons of good will and common decency.
For all I know, the Bible may merely be the great artistic work of its time that resonated with its audience – think “Gone With The Wind” or, even better, “It’s A Wonderful Life”.
America returns to that film every holiday season – not necessarily because they believe that Clarence the Angel is real, but because they connect with the film’s basic message of family, friendship, and generosity.
I’m all for being skeptical, but Maher dwells on religion as a practice of the occult and often misses the point. It’s not about whether these stories from the past really happened or not – it’s about taking their meaning for the future.